Thursday, May 17, 2007

D E S E R T Cake







I just arrived from Hong Kong and dad helped me gain back my work momentum. He wanted a box of simple cake. I have so much chocolate bars stuck in the fridge. Pre-heat the oven at 350F. Grease your square pan with softened butter and flour the surface.This cake which is made of Genoise Sponge which is eggs, sugar whisked in bain marie or in adouble boiler until it feels body temperature,straight to the kitchenaide mixer,beat the egg-and-sugar mixture until ribbon stage or just until it leaves a trail when the attachment is lifted up. Gradually add the sieved cake flour and fold it in. Double checking if there are lumps in the bottom of the bowl. Bake for 20-30 minutes. After baking, invert the sponge on tray with white sugar to avoid it from sticking and let it cool.
The buttercream is made of eggs and sugar also cooked in a double boiler until body temperature. Then whip the mixture until the bowl feels cool and looks pale on high speed. Whip in the softened butter at very low speed.You will notice thatthe buttercream looks broken but increasing the speed to medium then to high will reconstitute the volume of the icing. Set it asidecovered.
The filling is just melted dark chocolate bar with a little unsweetened chocolate. For the garnish ,I always have a bowl of chocolate ganache which is a mixture of chocolate and heavy cream which I store in the fridge. I rolled this into balls and dredged it in chopped cashew nuts.Then the name of the cake was born then, I call this the D E S E R T Cake. I just dusted the top with toasted graham flour as the sand, the truffles depicts the rocks. The cake's edge was to plain so instead of putting the usual thin acetate , I used this printed glossy piece of wrapper which complemented the cake well.