Friday, March 02, 2007

Ribbon?Butterfly?Bowtie?...It is Farfalle



Farfalle Pasta with Tomato and Cucumber Sauce is what I prepared last night for a couple, a family friend who is also migrating in Canada. They are actually the people who have helped me reconstruct the layout of my soon-to-open baking school and cafe. Thank you guys for a wonderful evening. I normally use flat noodle, spaghetti and I felt I need to use this type of pasta because of its unusual shape. I thought of making my own but it would take me the whole day to shape each imto bowtie shapes. I think its cute and something different. The cucumber sauce compliments the tomato sauce.
Origin
Farfalle is a type of pasta.
Commonly known as "bow-ties", the name derives from the Italian for butterfly, farfalla. The "e" at the end of the word is the Italian feminine plural ending, making the meaning of the word "butterflies."
Farfalle dates back to the 1500s. It originated in Lombardia and Emilia-Romagna in Northern Italy.
Farfalle comes in several sizes, but has a distinctive bowtie shape, like a little Action Man bowtie (a satirical quote from Alan Partridge). Usually the farfalla is formed from a rectangle or oval of pasta with two sides trimmed in a ruffled edge, and the center pinched together to make the unusual shape. They are sometimes ridged, known as farfalle rigate. Different colors are available; plain, tomato, and spinach. These are often sold together in a mix. Suitable for most sauces, farfalle are very well suited to cream and tomato dishes, and children have a particular affinity for them.
In Modena farfalle are known as strichetti.
A larger variation of farfalle is known as farfallone.

0 comments: